Friday, July 3

E-F-Y

I was an EFY counselor. Many snicker at the prospect of being in charge of a group of 40 youth ranging anywhere from 14 to 18 years of age for an entire week, having them get along, walk in perfect lines in twos, be motivated, get everywhere on time, wear appropriate clothes, be excited to be there, while keeping up that enthusiastic, energetic smile and bouncy attitude, all on just 5 or so hours of sleep every night. And, when you really break it down, the pay is extremely low. WHY subject yourself to such a thing?

I asked myself the same question every day. But in the end, it was a fantastic experience, and I had a lot of fun. My "company's" name was Dig a Pit, as in, "Will you dig a pit for me, please?" Dig a Pit. Makes perfect sense.

Here are some mementos of my EFY experience. I think I probably learned more about myself that week than any of the youth learned from me teaching them. They were the guinea pigs...which is really too bad. But I'm really glad I did it.


With our flag on games night


getting into the games on the DT field


With my co-counselor, Heather Stewart.


At lunchtime, playing their favorite game--the ninja game.


Somehow I got stuck carrying like 7 sets of scriptures

No comments: