
Method #2 of how NOT to get swine flu:
Don't let Kristen breathe on you.
I've been put on house arrest (otherwise known as quarantine) for the next several days. Why, you may ask? That's a fair question.
I have not been feeling well this whole week--intense headaches, fever, trouble breathing, stomachaches, dizziness, fatigue, the whole bit. It was coming and going, and mostly going, so I thought I was on the mend. However, when I kept getting a fever and my headaches weren't going away, my mom talked to the pharmacist, who said I should be tested for the West Nile virus.
Well, a couple of hours later and after a trip to Urgent Care, we were at peace that I do not likely have the West Nile virus. However, I do have a case of that global pandemic: the dreaded swine flu.
Besides the initial feelings of frustration associated with being told you've got such an abhorred disease and a few tears with the realization that this will possibly affect my MTC entry date, I'm pretty OK with it now. I'm just glad that there's actually a name for what's been wrong with me..I thought my headaches and difficulty breathing were my body's way with dealing with whatever stress and anxiety I've been feeling. So that's the good news, along with the fact that I'm starting to feel a little better. The bad news is, all those plans I had to go see my friends "one last time" are pretty much down the drain for now.
Many of you came to my farewell on Sunday. If I infected you with it, I am so, so sorry. The good news is that it's not even as bad as the usual stomach flu, since I didn't throw up at all. The bad news is, no one wants to get sick, period. Much less with the swine flu. So if you start feeling sick, go get tested right away. Despite the discomfort of sticking a long stick with a q-tip looking bit of foam on the end of it all the way up your nose till it hits your brains, it honestly wasn't too bad. Not my idea of comfort, but not too bad.
I might add the disclaimer that the doctor said that so many people have swine flu these days, it's kind of impossible to know where you're getting it from--we come into contact with hundreds of people every day on the streets. But regardless of where anyone picks it up, he said, they will blame it on you. If you get the swine flu, by all means, blame me. I feel horrible about it. Let me know, and we can commiserate together.
I'll keep you posted as to when I'll be able to go into the MTC, etc. etc. Until then, you may write me emails or leave comments on my facebook wall, if you feel so inclined.
But for Pete's sake, please don't come visit me.
Not unless you want your little sister to nickname you "Pig Girl" as well.
4 comments:
I'm so sorry you got swine flu. That really sucks, especially having to be quarantined. Especially when you're preparing for your mission!
One of my students came up to me after having been absent for a week, and proudly declared, "Guess What, Mrs. Challis? I had SWINE FLU!!!" I guess in 7th grade it's considered a "cool" thing. But I still feel bad for you.
Oh man, that's terrible! I hope you get better soon. The timing certainly isn't great but I'm sure everything will work out :)
Oh Kristen! That's awful! Good news is that you won't get it in the MTC! An elder in my sister's district got it and was under quarantine for a week. If the MTC isn't quarantine enough already! I hope you get better soon! Love you!
thanks everyone! i'm feeling a lot better these days, and it sounds like i'll be able to go in at the end of the week at the latest!
Post a Comment