Tuesday, June 21

Summer Reading

I have been looking forward to summertime as a time to enjoy the sunshine, as well as time to read for pure pleasure and cross off many of the books on my book list. The "problem" is that my book list seems to grow faster than I can possibly keep up.

So far, my summer reading list looks something like this:
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (just finished)
  • Letters by Marjorie Pay Hinckley (finishing up)
  • A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis (just finished)
  • The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (just finished)
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard by Sheri Dew
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  • 1776 by David McCullough
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • Whatever it Takes by Paul Tough
 I know it's a little idealistic, but I'm no so much set on finishing everything as I am of enjoying having time to read. Despite the unrealistic length of my list, I'm asking for any suggestions of favorite books or "must-reads" that anyone has--I'm always looking for suggestions. And as you can tell, I'm interested in a variety of genres.  Suggestions, please?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

kristen! how are you?!! it has been way too long! so happy you found my blog. it looks like you are having such a fun time in Page for the summer. living by lake powell sounds like a dream. i am excited to be able to keep up with you through your blog now :)

Aubry Ellison said...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my all time favorite books. I love Screwtape letters and The Alcemist is not as good as everyone says but still good. Miss you!

Jami said...

You HAVE to read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" Pronto! It is my favorite book ever. I have read it quite a few times and want to read it again. Once you read it, we can discuss it's wonderfulness :)

Kristen said...

Thanks sarah!! I'm excited we can follow each others' blogs now!! We'll have to meet up sometime when I'm back, I'd love to meet your cute boys! Aub bob and James, thanks for the advice, I began reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" next per your advice, and I'm loving it so far :) I'm coming home in less than two weeks, so I will see you soon!!!!

Mindy said...

Kristen-I have read Secret Life of Bees and really enjoyed it. Of course anything by CS Lewis is great, including The Screwtape Letters. I have not read A Grief Observed, so I will have to put that on my list. I actually really enjoyed the Alchemist, I think you will too. I like some of the others on your list--think maybe I will add them to MY list.

If you have not read it-tackle Atlas Shrugged. (I'm working on it). Also, did you read Wednesday's Letters? Short read but really good. I have also decided I need to read Gone With the Wind, it just seems like one of those cultural classics that must be added to my library. Hope we see you soon!