I can now cross "catch a fish" off my bucket list. On Monday after work, I went river fishing with my friend Jen, her best friend and her family. We drove about 45 minutes, hiked about the same amount of time down a gorgeous canyon (see picture!) and found ourselves on the banks of the Colorado River in a secluded spot. This is such beautiful country out here!Not only did I catch one fish, but four!! And with some kind of beginner's luck, I managed to get the first catch of the day. I think in the end we had over 25 fish between the 5 of us fishing...not bad for a day's work!
Even if I didn't catch a dang thing, I appreciated the experience so much more than just reeling in a fish. Something inside of me felt like Tom Sawyer or something as I sat on a rock in my dirty bare feet, waiting for my next catch. The smell of river water that came with an occasional burst of wind, the company of friends, the feeling of gratitude for the beautiful canyon, and the anxious waiting for that next bite...I was as happy as a clam.
I'm absolutely hooked. I went from disliking fishing to not being able to stop (literally, we fished until it was almost too dark to make the hike back). Sure, I didn't actually put the night crawlers on the hook myself, nor did I gut the fish...so I got to skip the gross parts.
But it's a start. And it's official: I love fishing. (more pictures to come of our day trip.)
No comments:
Post a Comment