Disregard that last post. Apparently I was wrong in my assumptions that the mail wasn't coming--I had checked the mail from the day before.
After checking the mail 6 times, calling the post office, cornering a mailman on a neighboring street (and having him call the post office, and giving him the Great Inquisition), and going to the gym to try and release my pent-up energy and lack of focus, I pulled back onto my street, 200 East, in the passenger's seat of my roommate Ashley's Toyota. As we drove down the street, it was like slow motion as I saw the mail truck pull up alongside our mailbox. I screamed for her to let me out, and she halted to a screeching stop.
I ran across the street in the snow in my little gym shorts and hoodie, and practically jumped up and down as I begged the mailman to check if my call was in there. What do you know? There it was! The next few minutes were filled with lots of jumping up and down, calling everyone, hugs, and, of course, girlish screams. Paige came running down the street from 3 blocks away, and practically tackled me with her giant hug as she swung me around.
The next hour was a blur as I called my parents, my siblings, my grandma and cousin and texted all of my friends and jumped in the shower. I'm glad I was in a rush, because I was shaking with excitement and anxiety, and it was good to have something to focus on.
Before I knew it, my friends and family were all there at my sister's apartment, packed on the floor like school children waiting for the teacher to read to them. I shook as I opened the envelope. I'd forced myself not to look at the postage--people say your envelope is heavier with extra visa papers if you're going foreign, and so the postage costs more. I saw what my friend Sara's was, and I didn't want to be overanalyzing things.
Anyway, there I was. The room was quiet as I shakily read the first line..."Sister Kristen Staib, you are hereby called..." The paper I'd used to cover up the second line moved down, and my eye darted to the middle of of the page--to the word Mongolia. I was in SHOCK!! My friends screamed out loud, and it took me a second to collect myself before I could keep reading.
Mongolia.
Mongolia?
Mongolia!
Do they even send missionaries to Mongolia?!
The rest of the next couple hours is a blur for me now. Friends' and family members' faces, lots of hugs, lots of shock and daze and feeling numb. After an hour or so when most everyone had left, my family took me out to dinner. I called my uncle. I called my aunt. They didn't believe me at first. I don't believe me still. I read through my call. I read through the little packet they sent me. They said I have to bring enough deodorant for my entire mission.
I'm still in shock.
I had to look at myself in the mirror last night and say, "Mongolia. You are going to Mongolia. I am going to Mongolia. Mongolia. Mongolia." I don't know if it's real yet, or if I believe it yet, so I have to keep saying it to myself.
It seems that now I talk to people, everyone knows a Mongolian family or had a Mongolian companion on their mission, or has friends in that mission. Fortunately I know a Mongolian woman personally, and she is fabulous.
So..yeah. My next Grand Adventure is somewhat planned for me; it'll begin July 8th. Until then, I have lots of miniature adventures along the way (making it through graduation being the next!)
Mongolia. Mongolia.
I am going to Mongolia.
3 comments:
Yay Mongolia! I remember feeling the same way! I was reading my call and before I read where I was going I just stopped (like you) and said, "Oh my gosh!" And my family all screamed "What? What? Where??" And I was in a daze the whole rest of the day. I am so excited for you! How cool to go somewhere totally foreign where no one goes! Just awesome! Congratulations again! I love you and know you are going to be absolutely fabulous!
Such an amazing thing...I loved being there!
Im sorry sister staib, that they didnt send you to mongolia, but if you would have gone..theni wouldnt have met your here in garden city ks,..Im glad heavenly father put me in your path. I will never forget they day you came up to me and talked to me. i love you. & will never forget you, bestfriends foreverrrr!! awww(: the love of my life!i love you sister staib!:D
- Noheli Trejo
June 28,2010
Post a Comment