This was the line--around the block--on Election Day in the District. Everyone came in late to work from having to wait in line to vote, donning "I Voted!" stickers.
It was a gray, wet day. As I walked to the Metro from work, I paused to take a good look at the Capitol. I thought about what it stood for. I thought about the foundation of our country, and how remarkable it is that this experiment of democracy was successful. There I stood, between the Capitol and Supreme Court Buildings, grateful to be an American and for the rights we have.
I got a ticket to go to the RNC Election Night Party at the Hilton from my roommate, Sara, who is interning with the RNC Chairman's office. I also got a ticket from my staff director, and apparently these babies were hot commodities. After a few of us interns received tickets, a bunch of staffers got sort of irritable about not being able to go, or not being able to get their friends in. But I got to go with both Sara and Haley, and we saw other Barlowites, Shane and Chad there.
Masses and masses of people. We had to push through the crowds to get at the plethoras of tables with delicious food: we sampled various pastas, sweet potatoes, raw oysters, salads, different kinds of roasted of beef and turkey and other freshly-cut meat, and dozens of other foods. There were dessert tables covered in cookies, eclairs, and chocolate dip for berries, pineapple, melon, pretzels, and other tasty morsels. Too much food. But so delicious.
It seemed more like a place for those who worked on the Hill to rub shoulders with others who work on the Hill. As my staff director said, it was "heavy on the food, heavy on the booze, and light on the celebration."
Showing off our official-looking passes.
The moment of truth
Party's over. The Election Party, I mean.
We went home, somewhat dejected, amidst the honking cars and cheering people on bikes and walking down the sidewalks. I'll spare you the details of their explicit cheers. Sara and I were about to climb into bed, when Paige and Ashley returned from the White House around 1:30 am and told us of the excitement and throngs of people in front of the White House. Of course, I couldn't miss out on this opportunity. As I've told myself time and again, "this is history!"
We practically ran down to the White House (normally just a twenty-minute walk), passing numberless concourses of people wearing Obama garb, throwing high-fives and chanting Obama's name. I cannot describe to you the sense of excitement, the cheering, the hype that surrounded us. We were in a sea of people, with tides moving with us and against us. We wove through the crowds, all the while laughing and occasionally joining in with the frequent "O-BA-MA!" cheers. I couldn't help it. To wear my "Support McCain-Palin" pin would've been suicide. No, really.
We finally arrived at the White House. The crowd surfing I so looked forward to (as described by Paige and Ashley) had ceased, but the scene was still happening, the news cameras were still rolling, chants and screams still rang through the chill night air, and policemen still patrolled the area, their bright lights circling in a whirl of blue and red. We stayed as long as we could take the crowds, the noise, and the confusion, then eventually made our way home with the excited masses. The honking drive-bys, screaming and cheering didn't cease, and I fell asleep at 3 am with traces of "O-BA-MA!" running through my head.
I decline any comments on what I think of Obama being elected, about the widespread shift away from and disenchantment with the Republican Party (especially among young adults my age, including many of my BYU colleagues). Not to say that I'm not interested, don't have opinions, or wouldn't like to personally discuss the matter, but I have enough catching up to do on my blog that I'd rather not take the time to rehash it all again here :)
One thing is certain: regardless of your political convictions, much of the country, as well as the international community, is wildly excited about Obama's election, and is eagerly awaiting to see what he will do once he takes office. And, of course, we have the first black President of the United States.
It's history in the making.
2 comments:
Just for the record, I am just as certain as I am confused about politics. I really love all your pictures and your election night story!
You are having such neat experiences! I am glad that you will share them with me!
Post a Comment