Monday, June 16

California, Wyoming, Idaho, and Engagements

My first official blog post: it's a bit daunting. I feel like my life is pretty exciting, but that's just to me. I honestly have no idea what to write about in a space like this, so if anyone actually reads this, I'm warning you now that I'm a newbie blogger. We'll see what this evolves into, I guess.

Well, this spring I've just been crazy busy with my internship, as well as enjoying the sunshine and planning every spare minute I have with friends, family, and little trips.

At the end of the semester, I headed down to San Diego with my roommates and best friends, Stephanie, Kristina, Ashley, and Rilee, to see Kristina's hometown (Escondido), have a bonfire on the beach, get pedicures, go shopping, soak up some rays on the beach, and, most of all, to see Wicked the Musical in Los Angeles!! It was my first time seeing the play, and it was absolutely phenomenal. It was such a great weekend. I'll never forget it.

A week ago (the weekend of June 7th), I went to Jackson Hole and Alpine, Wyoming, with three friends--Rilee, Austin, and Kyle. We sped up to Jackson Hole that Friday to work for a few hours as valets at a wedding reception. It was actually pretty fun, and although I didn't get to park the red Mustang convertible, it was an enjoyable time. We got a bit cold, but it was worth the fun experience. That night, we camped down at Rilee's family's property down in Alpine, and slept on the queen size bed, couch, and floor of her family's trailer. While it was expected to snow that night (yes, it was THAT cold), we survived the night somehow (I was well mummified in my sleeping bag).

That morning, the owner of the valet service and his brother invited us to his comfortable home (Rilee is good family friends) for a delicious brunch, and we enjoyed their company and freshly-made elk jerky (is that what it's called? Well, it's not beef jerky. You get the idea). By the time we finished brunch and were ready for the day, the weather clouds looked ominous and threatened rain, so we decided on a hike a little closer to Alpine rather than driving up to Yellowstone to hike 4 miles around Jenny Lake.


We drove to Afton and hiked by the springs, which ended up being the loveliest place, ever. We ventured off the path up the mountain and found a narrow trail, which we followed. We found ourselves in a small canyon looking down on the winding river, with the beautiful, looming, snow-capped Tetons as our backdrop. We could've hiked for hours and hours--the trail went on for miles--but we settled to enjoy the gorgeous snow flurries that swept through the canyon and to take in the picturesque scene. Oh, and spotting a bear print in the ground also prevented us from getting too deep into the woods. But it was a beautiful, perfect day, and that night we relaxed and ate by the bonfire and watched the sun go down over Star Valley. I'm in love with Wyoming.

Just one week later, I was making a very similar drive back through Idaho. I think such a trip should be considered illegal, because what kind of people drive 14 hours to and from Idaho in one week? I would feel that my life is quite pathetic were I not traveling to Jerusalem a week from tomorrow. Seriously. Idaho is not exactly on my top ten list of thrills and adventures. But I shouldn't slam Idaho; it really is quite beautiful.

Anyway, I drove once more with my mom and dad and siblings up to Idaho on Friday the 13th (is this an omen? You be the judge) to meet up with my sister, Ashley, and her boyfriend, Matt. We stayed in this swanky Hilton hotel right on the snake river, directly across from the Idaho Falls temple. That's prime real estate right there. It was gorgeous--our balcony opened up to the scene of the temple, which was just a stone's throw away. Matt had something important to ask my dad (ahem...like, if he could marry his oldest daughter....), so they talked while us girls Ooohed and Aaahed over Ashley's wedding dress. It's absolutely beautiful. She looked stunning. And then, of course, Alex and I tried it on. I was horrified, and took it off right away. Some of us just don't look as good in white as others right now.

Well, the whole night was really fun, and Matt showed us the ring he'd chosen for Ashley, which was also absolutely gorgeous. They are so cute together and will make a really happy couple. We spent Saturday morning getting to know Matt's family, who lives in Idaho Falls, and enjoyed playing in their yard and having a barbecue. Matt proposed to Ashley that night at Mesa Falls, a waterfall in Idaho. Ashley, of course, said yes, and she is just thrilled. So they'll be married in the Salt Lake temple on October 10, 2008...it's crazy! I can't believe my older sister and best friend is engaged! It's wonderful, though.

That's my life right now. I have 8 days until I leave for Jerusalem, and I'll be there from June 25th until August 14th. So if you want to get in touch with me, comments on my blog or email (kristen.staib@gmail.com) are probably the best ways to chat.

Life is just too great right now...

3 comments:

{Brooke} said...

So Cute!!!! I'm excited to see that you actually wrote something. I'll see ya wed. Love Ya

noelle said...

what cute girls :). can't wait to hear your reports on jerusalem! we miss you already!

Unknown said...

Her Mom and I dropped Kristen off at the airport at 5:45 this morning. She was very tired, but excited to start this new adventure to the Holy Land. I'm anxious to hear all the reports on her experiences for the next couple of months.