Thursday, February 21

one week in Gulu

We have been in Gulu for one week and one day. I can't believe it has been so little time, when I feel so at home!

My first full day in Gulu (last Thursday), I remember walking around the streets and telling Jenny that I have never been so keenly aware of my skin color.  Here in Gulu, everyone is mostly African. We see maybe three other mzungus (foreigners/white people/etc) in a day.  Needless to say,  Jenny and I stick out quite a bit.

Today, though, Jenny and I attended a meeting with about a hundred other attendees. We sat near the back of the room. An hour or so into the meeting, Jenny leaned over and said, "Do you realize we are the only mzungus in this meeting?"  I had taken notice of that detail as I wrote my field notes, but I'd forgotten about it soon thereafter.

I'm grateful that within a week, I can honestly say I feel very comfortable in Gulu and in my surroundings. Of course I still stick out, but I guess I am okay with that now. It's who I am.

No comments: