Thursday, February 7

Istanbul (not Constantinople)

We made it!! Two flights and some lost luggage later, we are in ISTANBUL!

Our experience in Turkey so far has consisted of some amazing views as we flew into the city (pictures to come), a long time waiting in lines at the airport and in the lost & found (they lost Jenny's suitcase, probably in Chicago), and a  cab ride to our hotel.

Though it was already dark by the time we loaded into our cab, it's already been a great experience. The taxi drove down along the water's edge, where we could see a lot of the nightlife, advertising, and open air fish markets with enormous fish for sale.  As we drew closer to the old part of the city (where Hagia Sophia, the palace, etc. are) and to our hotel, we saw some ancient-looking Muslim architecture that resembled what I saw in Spain. Our cab driver was turning left and right and all over the place, going up and down these narrow cobblestone streets. Sometimes we would pull down a street and see another car coming down the opposite side, but there was only room for one of us. So the horns would honk, and someone would yield and turn off the road. There were little shops and hotels and restaurants everywhere, and with the narrowness of the streets, Sultanahmet feels very crowded, but unlike any place I've been.  I can't wait to get out into the city tomorrow!

Our hotel is great. We feel very safe and very, very tired. It's only 8:00 PM here, but my travel companion Jenny is passed out, and I'm going to do a little bit more research on Istanbul and call it a night.

I've already started snapping pictures like a fiend, so stay tuned for more!

1 comment:

a s h l e y b o y e r said...

AHHH!! I am so jealous. I'm glad you arrived safely and that you FEEL safe :)