HEY FAMILY!!!
I am quoting "Come, Come Ye Saints," obviously--it's recently become more and more meaningful to me. It's not a song just for the pioneers, but for US! As missionaries, as Saints in the Church--it's a beautiful song, I love it. We sang it in choir a few weeks ago and talked about how meaningful it is as we go forth all around the world to gather Zion--a call to the Saints to come unto Christ!
OK, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUUUUUU for the package!! Oh my gosh, I was so excited!! I got called down to the clinic, I thought it was for typhoid pills since I have to take those one of these days, and David Kader was there, and we were talking for like 10 minutes before he informed me that I got called there because he had "a delivery" for me. He is SO GREAT!! Thank you for your letters, the mints and cookies (even though I told you not to send me any, I've been secretly hoping this week that you would send me cow pie cookies. NO LIE!) and belly flops and masking tape that we attempted to hang up the Mongolian flag with, and for my Shade top (yep, that's the one I wanted! Thanks!) and everything, ESPECIALLY the letters and pictures. I plugged it in last night briefly just to make sure it worked, etc before I emailed you, and started flipping through the pictures. It's absolutely perfect, thanks so much!! I know you must've spent a long time on that, and I really appreciate it.
Oh, also, you either have ESP or you're just really keen, because you sent me an eight pack of breath mints. I've been going through Orbit withdrawals, and my comp and I go to the bookstore every other day to buy LifeSavers and Certs. I can exercise a little more restraint than she can, because she will go through two packs in about an hour. But it's still ridiculous, and I need something to ease the pain of my loss (gum-chewing). So yes, THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!!! It was so perfect. You spoil me so much. But I'm not going to say I don't love it.
The elders informed me on Monday that they were really mad at me, which puzzled me. It became clear when Elder Catron, our district leader, pulled out a wad of DearElders from his pocket--all for me. One elder said I got more mail that day than he's gotten the whole time he's been out here!! Sad!!! I try to stick them in my bag and not make a scene, but it's hard to hide my excitement. I was never really good at having a poker face :)
It's so weird to hear about you being down here meeting up with David or going to the movies or PF Changs. Every now and then I'll get a glimpse of the Y on the mountain, or out the window I'll see the SWKT or the Bell tower. I'm very much in Provo, but we are so busy at the MTC and focused on different things that those little glimpses make me feel weird. This has been my home for 4 years, but at the same time, everything at the MTC is completely another world!!
Last Sunday I was asked to give the prayer in RS. I was all nervous because there are so many people there--it's all the sisters in the MTC combined, and you go sit up on the stand and stuff. Well I prayed and whatever, and afterwards this girl came up to me and said, "Sister Staib! I know your sister Ashley. She and I served together!" It was Sister Funch, Ashley. I didn't talk to her long but she was nice and said that she'd gotten her call just before me, and you told her I was getting mine, etc. I told her you're engaged. So yeah, funny story.
After I said the prayer, we have "convert moment" or whatever and a sister gets up and tells of her conversion story. Well, it was the one Mongolian sister that is in the MTC right now (going to temple square)! She is simply darling. She bore her testimony in Mongolian and had a translator. It was SO FUN to hear her talk--we could pick out little words here and there.
Afterwards, my friend Sara (who left on Monday for Detroit, SO EXCITING!) was like, "WHAT THE HECK?! That’s not a language. You have to speak that!?" We just laughed. Yeah, I have to speak that. Or try to, anyway :) Speaking of, my teacher, Bro Cannon, told us it usually takes missionaries 6-9 months once in Mongolia to be able to be really comfortable with the language to the point where you can say what you want to say. The outlook is not as bleak as I'd thought! But that could leave me with 6 months left of my mission!! Ha! That was actually good news to me, though!
He's leaving for Mongolia on Monday with his wife for a weeklong trip. We're going to have a 'culture day' when he gets back. He gives us tidbits here and there, which I'll try and share with you from time to time. Also, he did throat singing for us (he learned it while on his mission). It is crazy! I am so stoked to go!!!!! AAH I can't even wait. Ok. Back to my email...
A few funny things this week--our native teacher, Sister Marta, was telling the elders not to be late to class. We really do have a good district, but there is one three-some of elders and they tend to be a bit late. Anyway, she meant to say, "I will catch you!" but she said, "I will CUT YOU!!" We all died laughing before she realized her mistake, and now it's our joke. So good. I love it. "I will cut you!"
Dad, MTC experiences [have changed since you were here], pajama parties being the least of them. I started a little tradition I like to call "shower singing." It's simple, really: after gym, we all go into the dorm-style communal bathroom and take our own showers in this big room. I pick a song and we all sing along at the top of our lungs. our repertoire (sp) includes Newsies, Wicked, Les Mis, Sound of Music, and every Disney song under the sun. It’s amazing how quickly the words have escaped my mind, so we resort to our imaginations to improvise on the lyrics. Well, it started with me and then Sister Ellison, but now I’ve gotten all the Mongolian sisters to join in! I actually think it's brought us together in many ways.
Oh, mom, I wore that blue and white striped old navy sweater (LOVE IT) and got more compliments than ever known to a sister missionary. It's a hit. And I love it.
UMMM Dangit, I have so little time! [It] is so funny you gave your lesson on that talk "Be of Good Cheer"! I have been studying it, too! I hope your lesson went well. It's an excellent talk and I was going to tell you all to read it. I still think you should all read it again. So good.
Also, I recommend reading Philippians 4:13. It's become a personal mantra.
Oh, really quick and then I have to run. We learned how to say, "I have to go to the bathroom" in Mongolian. Strangely enough, the different ways you can say it directly translate to say, "I have to go to the zero," "I have to fix my body," or "I have to go see my horse.' Apparently the country folk used that last one as an excuse, to be polite.
Well on that note, I don't want to get kicked off like I almost did last week! I love you! I'll send you a letter!
CTR!
No comments:
Post a Comment